2013/08/19

Selecting a Guitar Tube Amplifier or Effect Pedal

I manufacture professional quality guitar amplifiers and effect pedals. All my guitar gear has crystal clear, ear piercing, pristine ultra high gain tone. I started Masterbuilt Amplification simply out of love for the guitar and my demand for perfection. Money is nice, but even if I were a multi-millionaire, I would still build effects and amps, probably even more so. I feel like a small child on Christmas morning testing even the smallest modification to my guitar gear.
Tubes would be obsolete if it were not for the highly sought after, very sweet tone that it produces with a guitar, but it has to be done right. No transistors are used in my amps! However, I did design a series of awesome effect pedals with that technology (MOSFET, NPN, PNP etc.) if that is your thing. My pure tube, 100 watt amp is designed for crystal clear, extremely brutal, overdriven high gain with every tone knob set at 12 noon, but smooth bluesy vintage tone is just a touch of the knob away. I personally cut the mid frequency and turn up the presence for a less forgiving, sharp, cutting tone. Hundreds of trials were made with various combinations of component brands and values until one day I just nailed it. This amp combines the rich tone of a Marshall, the high gain of a Soldano, and clarity and cutting power of a Mesa. Masterbuilt Amps are hand wired and meticulously crafted to be simple, dynamic, musical, powerful and extremely tough, just plug in and play without boosters and noise gates. To order to provide the best quality and customer service, I passionately work at this every single day. While most amp builders are looking for ways to cut cost on manufacturing, I am constantly focusing on ways to upgrade, no matter what the cost. Every component is either gold plated, heavy gauge, military spec, shielded, oversized, vintage reproduction or a combination of such. When using the right speakers, our 3" Custom Mercury Transformers provide extended sonic range and extreme stability when pushed. If you want tight, modern, ultra high gain with a singing tone, there is just no substitute, and slight knob adjustments give way beautiful vintage low gain.
Many transformers are great when clean, but become mushy when distorted, producing an unsatisfying tone, especially at low volumes. Mercury Magnetics custom builds these transformers for us to meet these needs. To keep this amp unique, secret capacitors are used in key areas that enable our signature tone. These special musical caps are dipped to protect their identity.
Metal is the brutal game I am playing. The tone had to be clear, crisp, and noise free, not an easy tube task. Gain either sounds like 10 guitars playing at once, too saturated, or 10 chainsaws, too dry. I went somewhere in between, like 10 Harleys! This is the result of our custom designed Mercury Fatstack transformers. I have tested Orange, Diezel, Diamond, and I have owned the Mesa Mark V, Mesa Triple Rectifier, VHT Pittbull UL, and some Marshalls, let me just say, these were some tough amps to beat. However, my personal combination of 412 Celestion V30 X 412 EVM Black Label speakers, Mick Thomson Seymour Duncan Blackouts, DBZ USA Bird of Prey custom lefty guitar, Masterbuilt UHG-100 Amplifier Head, Ernie Ball cobalt heavy strings, Snap Jack cable and Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.14 pick will melt your face and make those other amps run and hide. We don't need a noise gate, this is a tube amp without transistors that runs quiet naturally because of my design.If you require the best, this is it!

No comments:

Post a Comment